Sunday, January 31, 2010

More Self Portrait


I'm still pounding away on this one. I went over the entire drawing filling in all the little spots because I thought it looked a little grainy and I wanted that Camie Davis plasticity. Then I realized that overall the shadows weren't dark enough and that the portrait was looking a little soft, not showing enough of the bony structure that lies underneath, so I washed yet another pass of darks over the surface. I think I'm getting closer to the final range now and once I clean up the drawing I'll be ready to start the painting. One thing that I'll probably do in the future that I picked up in my figure drawing class is to make a small pencil poster study and use that to key the values , because everything looks dark when it's next to white.

No comments: