Sunday, September 21, 2008

"Nautilus"


After completing this painting I realized that I had inadvertently set up the two bowls to look like a nautilus shell. I'd been wanting to use the wooden bowl in a painting for some time but I didn't want to fill the entire thing up with fruit, hence the bowl within a bowl arrangement. I really pushed the rounding of the forms in this one,I'm not sure the photo does it justice, but it was the best I could do. I just spent three hours fiddling around with photoshop trying to get something close to the painting. I've never had this much trouble before. I couldn't get the color and highlights on the oranges to look right and when I finally did the background became a problem. What I finally ended up with was a bit of a compromise between the two. Anyways I think it turned out to be one of my more interesting compositions and I really had a blast painting it.

No comments: