Sunday, January 24, 2010

More Self Portrait


Beneath the Planet of the Apes? Odd Nerdrum's brother? Nope, it's just me wearing a silly hat. I'm making good progress. The hardest decisions are about how much to compress an area, whether it be in the light or the dark. I really pushed it in the eye orbits. Up close I couldn't even tell where I was working. It took a lot of stepping back and forth and adjusting dot by dot. I've been spending almost all my studio time working on this so the only painting that I've been doing is at my saturday cast painting sessions. I felt like I was ready to push for a detailed, life size, portrait drawing, since I hadn't done one before. The only thing is that wearing that balaclava for a couple of hours at a time is really itching my scalp. I'm thinking of getting a military haircut.

No comments: