Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Camera

I recently sold a few paintings so I turned the money around into a digital SLR. I felt like I wasn't getting good enough pictures with my Nikon Coolpix point and shoot. This is about as inexpensive a dslr as you can get it's a Canon EOS Rebel XS. I'm shooting under daylight flourescent bulbs so I set the white balance to flourescent. Even with that I still had to do a lot of tweaking with photoshop to get it close to right. I'm not sure you can ever get exactly what the painting appears like (the value range of a monitor is pretty narrow) but I did re-calibrate my monitor so hopefully everyone is seeing what I'm seeing. I kept the painting right next to me as I played with it on photoshop to try and match the colors and values. This is definitely an improvement over what I had. I think I'll just really take the time now to get each shot perfect immediately after the painting is finished rather than try to do a bunch at one time. Theres no point in killing yourself in the studio and then being represented by less than satisfactory images.

No comments: