Sunday, February 13, 2011

Workshop

I have been hired by Grumbacher/Chartpak as a workshop artist instructor and demonstrator. I have already given a few demos at Michaels Arts and Crafts in Massapequa, N.Y. on using their Academy line of acrylics to paint landscapes and still lifes. The next one is going to be a bit different. It's Feb. 19 1-4p.m. at the Islip Museum of Art. This workshop will focus on using Grumbacher's Max line of water miscible oil paints with a focus on still life. They sent me a batch to try out and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I put the paint through some tests and it held up well. Water miscible does not mean water mixable. You can't thin the paint down like you would with mineral spirits. I tried underpainting using a rub-in technique and that worked great and is actually a sounder practice than breaking down the paint with mineral spirits. Anyway the workshop is apparently sold out with thirty students so I'm very excited.

No comments: