Saturday, May 30, 2009

Hit and Run Landscapes




I had the rare Saturday off from cast painting so I had a choice; go fishing for stripers or go do some landscape painting. As you can see I chose the latter, hopefully I made the right choice! Anyways, I went to paint at this state park that for some reason doesn't get that crowded, so I was able to work in virtual isolation. I don't do well painting in public. I could never paint in Central Park, I just don't like to talk much while I'm painting. I'm the same way at GCA. I'm sure some people probably think I'm snobby, but I'm really just lost in concentration. I'll chat when I put my palette down but otherwise you might as well be talking to a statue. In order to do these small 8" by 10"s I went pretty far off the beaten path. The vertical one I did first. I crawled through some underbrush near a salt marsh until I found an isolated clearing. I was struck by the contrast between the forest screen and the sunlit marsh. The other painting was made while standing on top of a bluff in some pretty windy conditions. In that one I was digging the long view of the Nissequoge river and the disappearing and reappearing trail leading to it. I think I'm going to go back there quite a bit this summer and maybe even do some larger more detailed pieces.

No comments: