Sunday, August 16, 2009

"Watermelon Slices"

I dispensed with my usual procedure on this one(8"x10", oil on linen), because I was worried that the melon would lose its color after the first day. So I laid the design out using vine charcoal and a small synthetic bright for erasing and refining the contours. Then I inked the drawing in. Next I washed in the background and other objects, leaving the watermelon untouched. After mixing my color strings I just went for it. I'm glad I got it mostly completed on the first pass because I don't know if I could have mixed those exact colors again, I was going on pure instinct. It's funny, because I had this one painted in my head before I'd even bought the watermelon or black plate. Sometimes it just goes like that. I've been looking at the paintings of Luis Melendez a lot lately and that's probably where I got the idea of the black plate. I was hoping the melon would be reflected in the plate but it didn't work out that way. Maybe on the next one.

No comments: