Here's the finished painting "Apples and Jug", oil on linen, 9"x12", and the underpainting for "Water Glass and Mirror", 11"x14". The apple painting is not quite as dark as it looks here. I darkened it down in photoshop to get rid of some of the glare. I'm going to have to give it another go before I post it to my website. It's taking me a little bit of time to figure out the nuances of my new studio lighting arrangement. The "Water Glass.." on the other hand looks exactly right, go figure. My process on the water glass so far was to make an exact size, pencil drawing , using the straight line method of blocking-in. Then I traced it and transfered it using hard vine charcoal. Next I inked the drawing and did an open grisaille wipe out using burnt umber and black (the black keeps the paint from drying up too quickly). Today I managed to get a few hours in before the holiday guests arrive, and I rubbed in the basic color scheme. I find this technique to be working very well for me and I may stick with it for a while. I'm pleased with the way the frottis (rub-in) came out. It already has the feel that I want the finished piece to have, so I have to remember to keep the overall simplicity and the "big look" as I begin to windowshade in the form painting and details.
two pears oil painting small daily painting day
6 hours ago