Monday, March 2, 2009

Crackers and Ale



I had off from work due to the snowstorm so I got some work done on a new small still life. The wipeout isn't quite as orangey as it appears here, it's the small incandescent bulb that's clipped to my easel. The setup is basically some Ritz crackers, a bottle of Guiness and a pewter mug placed on a book. I did a drawing first and than transfered it to a double primed linen canvas. Usually I use cotton duck canvas but I had to purchase some Classens for my cast painting class and after painting on it I don't know if I'll be able to go back to cotton, except maybe for small alla prima landscapes. The texture of the linen seems to pull the paint right off of the brush and yet the paint lays on top of the oil primer. I'm also pretty much sold on doing poster studies now. It's pretty much a no brainer; you can try out your color ideas and make sweeping changes with out too much effort and it really helps lock-in your image, so that if you're a window-shader(as I am) it gives you more of an idea where you're headed.

No comments: