Sunday, March 1, 2009

More Portrait


I got a little more done on the portrait, mainly the nose and one eye. The hardest part about the nose is that value wise it stands out in profile against the shadow mass of the turned cheek, but you can't paint it that way or it will look flat. Kind of like a Picasso. So the tough part was to model the form without making it too dark because it does have some planes that directly face the light. I might have made too much of that highlight I'll have to take another look after it dries. I'm saving my lightest lights for the cheek area. The lighting is a little subdued overall because I have her sitting in a niche with the light obliquely raking in creating softer dark areas around the edge of the form. Why, I don't know, I just kind of liked the way it looked after playing around with the spot lamp for a while.

No comments: