Sunday, June 7, 2009

"Moth" Studies


A while ago, I had posted a sketch of an idea I had, inspired by this dark entranceway, lit up by an overhead light, that I would see while walking my dog in the early morning hours. Anyways, I finally got around to it. I have my wife posing in my studio while standing on a platform with a single spot shining down about six feet over her head. This morning I finished the pencil drawing and then I quickly knocked off a poster study, while my wife was still willing to pose. She'll only do it for two hours at a time, once a week, so I have to make the most of it. It's a fairly hard pose and she's been complaining bitterly. She says I owe her big and have to build her a deck in the backyard this summer. How we artists suffer for our art. It's supposed to be a night scene so I may have to go a bit darker and heighten the contrast. Although I'm doing the figure from life, the background is from sketches I made while the image was still fresh in my memory. It's where realism coincides with imagination that's going to be the tough part. It's going to be on a small 11" x 14" canvas so I'll be able to suggest a lot more than I would on a larger piece. The poster is pretty close to what I expected so we'll see what happens when I actually get down to it. The problem with working from memory is that there's a tendency to overdo the details (the bane of illustration). I may have to go over there at four in the morning with my car and do an on the spot poster study. Hope I don't get harassed as a suspicious character.




No comments: