Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Spicy Eggs and Small Figure Study


Once, every other Tuesday, I get together with a group of artists to draw or paint the figure with one long 3 hour pose, at the National Art League. The problem has been that the space is also used as a gallery, so there is just too much light and about ten track lights aimed at the figure. Finally after putting up with this for a while, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I brought a spot lamp and a spotlight and a long extension cord. I turned off all the lights except for the back row of overhead flourescents. It definitely made a big difference, but I need to bring a spot that's more intense to burn out all the ambient flourescent lighting. I've been wanting to paint but the lighting has held me back. Everybody had a pretty good laugh when they saw me woeking on a 6"x8" canvas, but I explained that working that size would force me to ignore the details and go for the bigger forms. The eggs are just a little 8"x10" that I've been wanting to do for a while after I saw this frying pan my daughter had picked up somewhere.

No comments: